Guff2Y (“Chat to youth)” project for providing interactive information and services on a wide range of sexual health matters to urban and rural youth in Nepal
The goal of the project is to improve the sexual and reproductive health (SRH) status of urban and rural youth in Nepal through increased availability and uptake of SRH services including family planning (FP) and safe abortion (SA). This project will contribute to improved availability and uptake of youth friendly SRH information and services in 4 districts in Nepal with focusing on the following outcomes;
- Increased knowledge and awareness of SRH and available Youth Friendly services among youth in target areas
- Service providers have the requisite capacity, resources and support to deliver high quality YFSRH services and
- Best practices on YFSRH information and service delivery in Nepal are documented.
To reach youth with SRH information and FP service uptake, this project is mobilizing youth pop-up volunteers to organize orientation sessions and informational activities, has established youth centers to provide youth friendly SRH services and is using social media, radio and print media to reach out to youth with SRH messages.
According to INCITE Study, Youth are engaging in opportunistic sex (without any preparation). Young people have knowledge of contraception but only little and they want to learn more. 71% of youth ‘know a little about available family planning services’ and 9% ‘don’t know anything about family planning’ whereas 26% of 20-24 year said they know quite a lot / a great deal about contraception and family planning, compared to 17% of 15-19 year old.
The main barrier to reach youth regarding SRH information and services is stigma related to it. So to make it desirable and possible to serve youth we have de-branded the project as Rockets and Space. Rockets and space is different from the traditional way of disseminating SRH information and delivering SRH services. Rockets and Space brand is attractive, engaging and youth friendly. The project has been succeeded to reach youth;
- 18,265 youths received personalized SRH information through one-on-one counselling at centers and via helpline
- 72,285 calls, SMS and instant messages in social media (21,401 SMS from radio program, Facebook: 81 messages, 31,623 engagement and 17,956 daily likes)
- 1,674,299 youths have access to information on SRH (44,823 pop-up SRH sessions, 720,000 radio program listener ship and 909,073 Facebook daily reach)
For more information on Youth Project follow us in Facebook.